to the Burgess Ice Cream Website
|History of Burgess|
& Son" was originally founded by Mark Burgess, a former Mayor of Beverley
in the early 1920's. Mark and his wife Muriel started a small grocery
shop in North Bar Within, Beverley, making the ice cream on the shop's
kitchen stove. At first the ice cream was sold only through the shop
and the local cinema. As the business expanded Mark's son Ian came
into the business and had the idea of going mobile. A three wheeler
bicycle was purchased and the ice cream was sold around the local
streets and markets. In the late 1960's the general public began to
buy home freezers and it was decided to manufacture take home freezer
packs. The small factory was enlarged and new machines were purchased
to cope with the increasing demand of the take home products. As this
side of the business expanded a new factory at Market Weighton was
purchased in 1979, solely for the production of bulk ice cream.
The Beverley shop is open on Saturday and Sunday in the winter months and 7 days a week from easter until the end of the season.